The Ambassador Theatre Group strives for excellence as the managing company for the historic Emerson Colonial Theatre in Boston. In this tradition, we seek enthusiastic & dedicated employees who possess a passion for customer service and quality live entertainment. The Ambassador Theatre Group is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
DEPUTY GENERAL MANAGER
Job reference: COLDEP
Location: Boston, MA, USA
Closing date: 02 February 2018
Contract term: Full time
The Emerson Colonial Theatre is the longest continually operating theatre in Boston, MA. In its storied history, The Emerson Colonial Theatre has debuted such seminal Broadway shows as Anything Goes, Porgy and Bess, Oklahoma!, Born Yesterday, Annie Get Your Gun, Follies, A Little Night Music, Grand Hotel, and La Cage aux Folles, among others. Reviving a great theatrical tradition, Boston’s newly restored Emerson Colonial Theatre will officially re-open its doors in 2018 with the pre-Broadway World Premiere of Moulin Rouge! The Musical. As an Ambassador Theatre Group venue, the Colonial is committed to embracing ATG’s vision in becoming the leading live entertainment provider in the world. The Colonial is passionate about creating an engaging and positive environment for both our customers and our employees. An exciting opportunity has arisen within our theatre management office for a dedicated and creative individual to lead as the Deputy General Manager.
We are looking for a highly motivated, creative and confident individual who is capable of leading and inspiring a large diverse team, alongside the General Manager. The ideal candidate will have notable experience of touring venue working practices and have an extensive understanding of theatrical union CBAs. They will also hold excellent interpersonal skills and have the ability to build rapport quickly. The role requires exceptional time management skills, the ability to effectively multi task and requires an open mind to develop unique company initiatives. The position reports directly to the General Manager and will actively support them in the overall building operations, staff morale and development and in maximizing revenue.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
• Provide support for the General Manager and other venue staff by being proactive, using initiative and acting in the best interests of the company.
• Oversee payroll for all union employees across all related departments.
• Oversee financial settlement processing and reconciliation
• Sustain employee welfare by promoting an open door policy to identify and resolve grievances
• Guide in-house concessions operation including business strategy, product development, staffing schemes and stock/cash management with Customer Experience team.
• Liaise with production staff, producers, show general managers, company management and merchandise company, answering queries, resolve issues & maintain positive relationships.
• Provide regular senior level show coverage during performances, maintaining safety of facility and its inhabitants, reconciling Box Office reports, managing front of house staff, and tending to patron issues
• Assist with management and execution of various building projects and events as needed in various departments, including finance, facilities, front of house, special events, ticketing, and management operations.
Experience and Skills:
• Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in a theatre or live performance venue
• Experience in leading and motivating a large and diverse workforce
• An understanding and working knowledge of the theater touring industry and unions
• Demonstrated ability to multi-task, troubleshoot and meet deadlines under pressure
• Understanding and/or experience in, financial and budgetary management and control
• Excellent Computer skills are essential: Microsoft Office: Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. Previous retail experience with a working knowledge of electronic point of sale systems is a plus.
• Willing and able to work evenings, weekends and holidays when required
You must have the right to live and work in the US.
This position is full time salaried position with a comprehensive benefits package. Qualified applicants should submit a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org Please place ‘Deputy General Manager” and your name in the subject line.
Application forms and vacancy information:
Please save the documents listed below to your computer. You can do this by clicking the links and following the instructions given by your operating system; usually, this will involve selecting the option to save the file to your desktop.
We would really appreciate you taking the time to complete our Equal Opportunities Survey - there is a link at the end of the application form. The survey is anonymous and does not form part of your application process. It allows us to monitor effectively and ensure we are reaching an appropriately diverse audience.
Application form PDF
Application form WORD
How To Apply:
Please send your completed application form, so it reaches Ambassador Theatre Group by 02 February 2018, quoting the job reference - COLDEP, to: email@example.com, quoting the job reference (COLDEP) in the subject line
By post: Emerson Colonial Theatre, 106 Boylston St, Boston, MA 02116, USA